*looks at calendar*
How the hell is it July already?
We are halfway through the year and people are out here not wearing masks out in public. It’s crazy to think that a year ago today, we did not want to step foot outside of our front door. Now, people are out and about with no care in the world. Frankly, I still contemplate whether to put a mask on or not while in the car before going inside a store.
Even though I’m fully vaccinated, I still wear a mask out in public.
Let’s hope we don’t melt before the month ends. This heat and humidity is no joke. Why can’t it be Fall already?
This Month’s Posts
- [2 Jun] We Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faizal ★★★
- [2 Jun] If I Never Met You by Mhairi McFarlane ★★½
- [2 Jun] Descendant of the Crane by Joan He ★★★★
- [6 Jun] Bookwyrm Breakdown: Continuing the Julie Kagawa Agenda, Getting the Stabby and Other Things
- [11 Jun] Siri, Who Am I? by Sam Tschida ★★
- [25 Jun] 2021 Mid-Year Freakout Tag: K-Pop Edition
- [30 Jun] Celestial by Olivia Wildenstein ★★★★
Disclaimer: That’s not three posts, that’s just three reviews in one post. 🥴
I didn’t manage to burn a hole though my wallet this month! Although, I did cave and bought the B&N membership card….
- Hang the Moon by Alexandria Bellefleur
- The Wisteria Society Of Lady Scoundrels by India Holton
- Surrounded by Idiots by Thomas Erikson (recommended by my manager)
- A Deal With the Elf King by Elise Kova
- Make It Sweet by Kristen Callihan
- Always Only You by Chloe Liese
- Only When It’s Us by Chloe Liese
- Ever After Always by Chloe Liese
I got two ARCs I forgot I’ve been looking forward to!
- The Iron Widow by Xiran Jay Zhao
- The Keeper of Night by Kylie Lee Baker
June was not the greatest month for my wallet with some deals and the Barnes & Noble sale during Prime Day (look, I restrained myself during that sale too).
- Lore by Alexandra Bracken
- Amari and the Night Brothers by B.B. Alston – Yes, yes, I know I got this book in eBook form a month ago BUT this was on sale and I think I’ll love it when I get around to it, so I must get before I regret.
- Also, I didn’t know it was going to be on sale so… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- Ace of Spades by Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé – I finished reading this with Kal the other day and really enjoyed it! (And here we are, with my own copy.)
- Shadowsong by S. Jae Jones
- The Brilliant Death by A.R. Calpetta
Bonus: I just want to show how pretty my Fairyloot editions for The Iron Fey exclusive editions by Julie Kagawa that I got last month! They’re so pretty even a month later. (Also you saw it here before the ‘gram. If it ever makes it on there.)
I didn’t finish a book, but I am in the middle of reading Surrounded by Idiots by Thomas Erikson. At the moment, I am in the middle of a career transition. I have been too work oriented trying to get the most of where I’m at career-wise.
It felt like I didn’t read as much as I actually did, but I think reading an average of 10-15 books a month is starting to become the norm for me now that I no longer have school in addition to blogging and work. Here’s a handful of books I read throughout June:
- Percy Jackson & The Olympians Books 1-3 by Rick Riordan (audiobooks, reread)
- Legend trilogy by Marie Lu (graphic novels)
- The Worst Best Man by Mia Sosa (audiobook)
- Daughter of Sparta by Claire M. Andrews
- What We Devour by Linsey Miller (buddy read with Kal!)
- This Mortal Coil and This Cruel Design by Emily Suvada (audiobooks, reread)
Media we’ve consumed and enjoyed, or what we’re looking forward to that’s been announced lately.
If you don’t already know… I am a huge Marvel fan. I have truly enjoyed WandaVision and The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, but Loki is a show I have been most excited to watch! Loki has it quirks and it’s truly been a wild journey. I’m so glad he has his own show that get to allow us to explore his character. The latest episode was such a shock and I am not ready for this show to end in two weeks! I am not sure where the hell this is leading up to. Personally, I am not wise enough to come up with complex theories. I am only here to enjoy the ride.
I’m 95% sure my favorites spread in my bullet journal just consists of a nearly full list of K-Pop songs that released throughout the month and are on my playlist (or nostalgia road). Here’s a few favorites:
- Lockdown by EPEX (debut)
- Broken Me by BM
- Damage by Just B (debut)
- Starting Now by Ailee – technically this is just the Korean version of the Disney song sung by Brandy, which I also love
- Rain to Be by ONEWE
- Poison by Pink Fantasy
I’ve also been listening to maybe too much Olivia Rodrigo (I especially like driver’s license and good 4 u) but is there ever too much?
What catastrophes has the universe handed us throughout the month? Let’s find out. 🧐
I thought May was rough. June was worse.
As I’ve mentioned before, I have been working too much and staying too late at my job. I’m hitting close to a year and it’s scary to think that I am close to getting promoted soon… Hence why I’ve been reading something that I normally don’t gravitate to. It’s getting hard to create a work/life balance at the moment. Personally, I won’t stop feeling stressed and out of place until I start to feel content with how my career is going. I figured out that this is the main reason why I have not picked up a single book from my TBR list. I can’t seem to get my mind out of work mode to be able to relax and enjoy what I’m reading. Honestly, I cannot wait to get promoted and get it over with. (Sophia: As she deserves! The promotion, not the stress.)
I got my second shot! I may or may not have regret not calling off from work the day after (look, I thought I felt fine), but I think I’ve been spared in side effects compared to most of my friends and coworkers (which I’m grateful for). But other than that, I finally launched my Ko-Fi and sort of dusted the dust off Patreon, both of which I’ve been procrastinating for maybe too long.