The Book of Ivy by Amy Engel | Favorite Quotes (In Which 90% is Probably from Bishop)

Posted July 10, 2017 by Sophia

favorite quotes from the book of ivy amy engelI’m a huge fan of quotes. Every book that I read, I enjoy highlighting and taking note of the quotes and lines that I liked from the book (also so I can use them for later in the review, but primarily because I’m such a quote junkie).

Last year, I read The Book of Ivy by Amy Engel. I never really got around to writing the review since I don’t remember much from it aside from political ties of sorts – the MC is set to marry the ruling family and has plans to murder the son, who she ends up falling in love with. Great… now the book sounds worse than it actually is. (I promise it’s actually better than I just made it sound.)

I also wrote that from the top of my mind so… allow me to kindly push the actual synopsis and not the nutshell one I wrote from my brain top.

One of my favorite characters from The Book of Ivy is Bishop, the poor dude who is in the plans to be murdered. He is extremely quotable and 90% of my notes is filled with quotes from him while the other 10% are quotes from other characters and generic notes about the book. It isn’t much, unfortunately, because I was hoping to right the review shortly after reading and well… that didn’t happen as planned.

Have a synopsis:

The Book of Ivy by Amy Engel | Favorite Quotes (In Which 90% is Probably from Bishop)The Book of Ivy by Amy Engel
The Book of Ivy #1
Published by Entangled: Teen on November 4, 2014

After a brutal nuclear war, the United States was left decimated. A small group of survivors eventually banded together, but only after more conflict over which family would govern the new nation. The Westfalls lost. Fifty years later, peace and control are maintained by marrying the daughters of the losing side to the sons of the winning group in a yearly ritual.

This year, it is my turn.

My name is Ivy Westfall, and my mission is simple: to kill the president’s son—my soon-to-be husband—and restore the Westfall family to power.

But Bishop Lattimer is either a very skilled actor or he’s not the cruel, heartless boy my family warned me to expect. He might even be the one person in this world who truly understands me. But there is no escape from my fate. I am the only one who can restore the Westfall legacy.

Because Bishop must die. And I must be the one to kill him…

Favorite Quotes

I think we can love our families without trusting everything they tell us. Without championing everything they stand for.

We’re not our parents. We don’t have to agree with everything they stand for.

Dancing around the truth is exhausting.

Love isn’t something you can [begin] late. Love is more than charts and graphs and matching interests. Love is messy and complicated and it is a mistake to deny its random magic.

Everyone needs someone to put their faith in. Life’s too lonely otherwise.

There is something sad about your own father never calling you pretty, about never really knowing whether you are.

We can’t choose who we love. Love chooses us. Love doesn’t care about what’s convenient or easy or planned. Love has its own agenda and all we can do is get out of its way.

Life is one sick joke after another, I’m discovering. Because it hardly seems fair that it should hurt so much to finally get what I’ve been wishing for.

There is no way to keep someone safe forever. The world is full of a million dangers both realized and never considered.

Have you read The Book of Ivy yet? Any thoughts on the book? Favorite quotes?

Sophia started blogging in February 2012 for the hell of it and is surprisingly still around. She has a GIF for nearly everything, probably listens to too much K-Pop and is generally in an existential crisis of sorts (she's trying her best). In 2020, she graduated with a Bachelor's in Communications and minor in Women's Studies. More of her bookish reviews and K-pop Roundups can be found at The Arts STL.

Categories: Books
Tags: ,

Want to be a bookwyrm and get all the bookish posts when it goes live?